Monday, July 13, 2015

Finding a Balance

Finding balance in my life is incredibly hard.  I don't care what all those feel good websites tell you.  There is only so much time in each day.  And there is a constant to-do list that never goes away.  You do the math.

If I don't wash the dishes tonight, so I can sit down and watch TV (me time), those dishes are still waiting for me the next morning.  If I spend my whole Sunday playing with Max, then we have no clean clothes, no lunches and a dirty house.

So how do you find balance that is right for YOU.....

For me it has been really hard to find and I am still working on it everyday.  But I feel like I am too frustrated and too angry lately, so I know I have to make some changes.  I need a couple of minutes each day where no one is hanging on my leg, screaming mommy!  A couple of moments of peace and happiness.

So what did I do?

I pushed my work hours back.  This actually happened because of Max's new school but it has been an amazing change for me too.

I used to be at work at 7am.  If I wanted to workout in the morning, I had to get up at 5am.  I am constantly exhausted so that rarely happened.  That meant I had to come home and fit in the workout before dinner.  But Max would want my attention so it would be a complete shit show.  Then because I woke up so early, I was asleep by 9-9:30 most nights.

Now I get to work between 8:30-9 each day.  What did this do for me?  So much!  I am able to work out each morning before Max gets up.  I can stay up later because I am not waking with the birds, so I have time at night to relax, watch tv or read a book.  Plus Max is great in the am, so our time together is really nice.  A lot less screaming and crying which is always a bonus.

This morning, the school bus was early, so I rode my bike to work.  I was a sweaty mess when I got there but it was so nice.  Another little moment of me time.


I know this afternoon when it is 90 degrees I will regret the bike ride home but it doesn't matter.  I will have the wind in my sweaty bangs, the sun on my arms and my head will be free of all the garbage.

No day is ever perfect.  There is always going to be some meltdown, some yelling or some crying.  Max is an active toddler and that just goes with the territory.  But if you balance the rough patches, with a lot of good, you can make it all work!

No comments:

Post a Comment