Monday, November 16, 2015

Adventures on the Trail

I used to really love trail running.  When I lived in Philly we had some really great, local trails for runners.  One of my favorites was the trail around Haverford College.  

It was only about 5 minutes from my house and I used to sneak away at lunch time for a quick run. 

The best part of trail running is how much different it is from road running.  I have about zero coordination so I spend 90% of the run staring at the ground, trying not to trip.  This takes my mind off of miles and minutes.  There is less impact because you are running on dirt.  And for the most part the trail is really quiet and peaceful.


I didn't have a chance to run at lunch this week so I was determined to get up this am and run.  It is cold here in CT and super windy.  But tough tacos, quit your bitching and get out there.

Max and I hit up our local trail, the Pequonnock Valley Greenway.  This trail is really great because the path is nice and wide and mostly smooth, so I can push the Bob stroller.  Don't be fooled though.  There are still hills and Max probably weighs about 45 lbs.  


Add in all the crap we had to bring with us, water bottles, books, puppy, blankets, etc. and I was probably shoving around 50lbs up those hills.  


Right around mile two, my Garmin crapped out on me and my phone froze up.  So I was basically running blind.  And (gasp) it was kind of nice.  I knew this would be a slow run giving the stroller and the wind so I just decided to enjoy it.  

I didn't worry about my mileage or how fast each mile was.  I just enjoyed talking to Max, the pretty trees and listening to him screech the ABCs to me.  Really soothing, right????


I probably ran around 3.5 miles which is a nice, easy run.  It felt really good to get out and run early in the am.  My whole weekend used to revolve around my long runs.  So it is nice to get back to that.  But even better I got to show Max again how much I love running.

Kids learn from their parents.  I want him to see how awesome running is.  I want to be able to share my love of running with him.  And hopefully one day he will run with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment