Friday, April 29, 2016

Know When to Walk Away, Know When to Run

This was one of my favorite songs in college.  In my dorm room at the University of Delaware, when I was downloading millions of songs on Napster, this was my jam!


This is also the theme song of this week.  "You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, And know when to run"

It has been one hell of a week.  I have been incredibly exhausted all week.  Like going to be at 8:45 at night exhausted.  On top of that, Max has been really pushing his limits this week.  That has included a lot of back talking, throwing things and screaming.  I have tried really hard to be understanding but everyone has their limits.

Some of the more delightful moments this week have been:


  • Banging his cars against the fish tank and causing mini sunamis
  • Pouring out two bottles of shampoo, a bottle of conditioner and a tube of face scrub in the shower
  • Laying on the ground in my office parking lot and sobbing over chicken nuggets
  • Shaking out an entire bag of popcorn in my bed
But today, he really brought it home.  I dropped him at the nanny's house at 7am.  She texted me at 7:30 to say he had hid her keys and she might not be able to take him to school.  I texted back that they had an hour and I was sure she would find them in time.  8:15 I got another text that she still couldn't find the keys.  So I drove to her house, threw him in the car and raced back across town to our house.  I got to the light across the street and his bus was waiting in front of our house.  I had a mini heart attack while waiting for the light to change but finally pulled up behind the bus and hustled him on.  I finally got back to my office and got back to work.  10:30 my phone rings and it is the school, telling me that they found a set of car keys in his lunchbox..............

Given all of that, I decided we had had enough this week.  I picked him up this afternoon, drove to the grocery store, bought a box of frozen waffles, drove home, toasted these culinary delights and plopped him down on the couch to watch the Minions.  I even treated him to some M&Ms!


Everyone has those days or weeks.  And sometimes you have to accept that you can't make it any better.  You just have to relax and take some quiet time to recharge.  And pray to god that tomorrow will be a better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment