Monday, May 2, 2016

Recharging Over the Weekend

As a parent or even as a human being, we all reach a moment where we know we are at our breaking point.  Last week was a really rough week.  Work was insane.  So insane that I had a headache for three days straight because of the pressure I was putting on myself to finish all of my work.  On top of that, Max was really pushing all of my buttons.  I mean EVERY LAST BUTTON. There was only one night last week that there were no tears at bedtime, his or mine.  By Friday night I felt ready to crack under all the stress, pressure and emotions.

At times when stress is crushing me, I have a tendency to move faster and try to do more.  And that always leads to epic meltdown status.  I make mistakes, drop things, spill things and have to redo most of what I just did.  It is like being in the middle of a cyclone.

So when we woke up on Saturday morning, I was determined to leave the week behind me.  We got up early, picked up my sister and drove to LBI for the weekend.  And it was fantastic!


We opened up the beach house, turned on the water and then did one of our favorite things....went to Walmart.  I don't know what it is about the Walmart at the shore, but I seriously love it.  We went in, wandered thru the store, buying all this crap we don't need.  This includes new yoga pants, candy, a Dirty Dancing dvd, Captain Crunch cereal and other general ridiculousness.  We laughed so hard that I almost peed my pants.  It was great!

Riding a skateboard while pushing a shopping cart!

We drove back onto the island and ended up at the tail end of a......FIRE TRUCK PARADE.


I seriously thought Max's heart would explode with joy.  Beach Haven was dedicating a new fire truck and there were almost 60 fire trucks from all the surrounding towns there for the ceremony.  It was so fun and amazing to see them all!  The lights were flashing, sirens were blaring and Max was so excited.


That night we had nachos for dinner and after Max went to bed, my sister and I laid on the couch and drank way too much wine.  We laughed, we cried and then we drunkenly stumbled to bed. Two bottles of wine and a bag of Raisinets probably wasn't great for my diet but some days you just need to enjoy yourself.

Sunday was a rainy, gross day so we headed home early, making sure to stop at Sonic and at Wawa.  Because we apparently needed more junk food.  It was a long trip home but it was really great to spend family time together.  


These moments were exactly what I needed.  Junk food, laughs and a lot of down time.  I barely looked at my phone all weekend and it was fantastic.

I have been moving at mach speed lately and I was feeling seriously worn down.  My emotions have been at a high point lately and I don't like feeling that way.  These moments of weakness causes all of my doubts and worries to creep in.  I don't have the patience for Max and all of his toddler antics and we spend too much time screaming and crying.  It is awful to be in that cycle and I am so glad that I woke up today feeling refreshed and ready for a great week.  I will probably go thru a hideous sugar withdrawal this week but it was totally worth it!


A dude and his love of trucks!

1 comment:

  1. Walmart at the shore is a special treasure. We do it too and end up with new swimsuits, shoes, and ridiculous amounts of skin care products.

    The truck parade looked great. :)

    ReplyDelete