Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Time to Recharge

I took off last Friday making my Memorial Day weekend a nice four day break from work.  The little dude and I headed down to the Jersey Shore with endless amounts of toys, books and gym shorts.  I don't believe in wearing real clothes when on vacation and my love affair with gym shorts is deep and true.  Add in some old t-shirts and flip flops and you have a true beach wardrobe.

We were blessed by some gorgeous weather for three of the four days.  I ate, drank and read trashy books.  I went for walks, did some yoga and finally washed my disgusting car.  And it was all so relaxing because I made the choice to disconnect.  

Let me paint you a picture of how it all started.  It is Friday afternoon, the first day of my mini vacation.  It is that glorious time of day known as nap time.  The dude is resting and I decided to do a little yoga to relax.  I boot up the old laptop and start to get my downward dog on.  

BING BING BING.  I can hear the emails blowing up in my inbox.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.  The text messages on my phone.

On top of that the fucking landscapers next door started mowing the lawn!



All of the sudden I found myself in warrior two, typing an email.  And that is when I realized that I had finally reached my breaking point.  Enough is enough.  What is the point of doing yoga if you aren't going to relax and enjoy it.  

I finished up my yoga and turned off my laptop.  I put my iPad into night mode so I couldn't hear the alerts from my emails.  And I turned off my phone.  I decided that I am reclaiming my vacation days.  And that is impossible to do when everyone and their mother wants to talk to you about something that can clearly wait till Tuesday when I am back at work.

Part of this is my own fault.  For years, I have worked thru every vacation I take.  I answered emails and phone calls.  I put together proposals and sign off on forms.  But I am always doing these things on the fly, when I should be relaxing and spending time with my family.  I would like to say that I come back from my vacations relaxed but that isn't always the case.  

Given the fact that my stress levels are at an all time high, I clearly need some time removed from my devices!  Four days with no social media, no email and no phone calls was amazing.  I didn't check Instagram or Facebook.  I didn't Tweet.  I barely responded to text messages.  And it was the best!

It is really hard to disconnect.  You are so afraid that something is going to happen and you are going to miss it.  But sometimes it is really important to take that time for yourself.  So let me be the first one to tell you how amazing it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment