Monday, September 26, 2016

The Perfect Weekend

As a parent, you know that there is really no such thing as the perfect weekend.  There are always going to be some bumps in the road.  A minor meltdown here, a kicked dog there.  You get the picture.  But this past weekend was the closest thing to perfection I have had in a long time.

August was really hectic.  To give you an idea, this was Max's August:

First week with his dad.
Second week bug camp fail and a back up babysitter.
Third week normal babysitter is back.
Fourth week, my grandmother dies, so Monday in LBI with the whole family, Tuesday and Wednesday in Rehoboth, Thursday and Friday in LBI without me.
Fourth week was our vacation, so just chaos and minimal sleep.
From that vacation, we went right into the first day of school.

With school, we have new kids in the classrooms, new teachers (his is out on a leave of absence right now) and two new babysitters.  On top of that we are back to routines but not the same routines we had last year.  Now I put him on the bus but this means I go to work later and get home even later.  I am down right exhausted and I know he is too.

This weekend, I wanted to really enjoy ourselves.  So Friday night I did all the laundry and cleaned the house. My house is super small so this takes maybe an hour.  But I wanted all of the chores out of the way so we could relax and have fun all weekend.

Saturday morning we had a playdate at his school.  It is run by the school and is a great way to meet parents and exhaust your child.  (Win!)  From there, we picked up my sister and went apple picking.  Max was amazing.  He was so fun and really sweet the entire time.  He kept hugging us and telling us what a great day it was.  We picked a ton of apples and had a lot of treats.  We ran some errands and then went home for a quiet night.

Sunday we got up and played with toys and read the paper before soccer.  Max wasn't feeling that great, so we came home after soccer and just relaxed.  We read some books, watched the Minion Movie and watched about 3,897 episodes of Transformers.  We REALLY love those Transformers.

There is no guarantee that this mystical beast of the perfect weekend will occur again but this is my recipe for it:

  • Limited activities
  • Keep it very simple 
  • Base most of what we do around him
It sounds so simple but it really isn't.  There is no choice, the house must be cleaned, the laundry must be washed, groceries must be purchased and lunches must be made.  I normally do all this on Sunday and we battle it out most of the day while I try to clean and he follows me with a path of destruction.

When the weekends are simple and a little quiet, we all have a great time.  He is happy and I am happy and that is an amazing thing.

How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment